Friday, May 17, 2013

Freezer Slow Cooker Meals


I am the first to admit that I get stressed and frazzled when I am not organised. Whether it be that I had a rough night with Jett not sleeping very well, or that our house has succumb to a virus from Lily's Preschool.. I get stressed. In order to eliminate this stress I take to ways of being more organised or preventative with the key 'stresses' I may have. 

A large, time needing item for me is dinner time. I can meal plan until the cows come home (which I do.. meal plan that is, not wait for the cows to come home) but if I don't prep our meals in advance, my meal 'planning' is then just as successful as my non meal planning efforts. 

So for the month of May I have taken to Freezing Slow Cooker recipes, I bought a few ingredients (most I already had in the pantry, fridge and/ or freezer) spent not much time on prepping the meals and now am stress free at dinner o'clock time.

I just write in my day planner next to the date what meal we'll be having for that day, then make sure to get that meal out of the freezer and start letting the slow cooker make our dinner! 

So far I have made:

- Slow Cooked BBQ Pork Spare Ribs
- Corn, Lime Chicken
- Alfredo Chicken
- Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Cacciatore 




I decided to give it a try when it came time to do our fortnightly grocery shop, we needed 14 dinners and enough for leftovers for Luke's Lunches so I thought it'd be interesting to see how long this little experiment of mine would take. 

My Experience:


 Cost: $190.00 

Meals Made: 16 Dinners & enough for 15 Lunches
[
Meal Preparation Time (cutting, peeling, dicing, chopping etc): 1 Hour 15 Mins
I managed to prep all 16 Dinners while my son slept and had the kitchen all cleaned by the time he woke up. We still have had takeaway between starting the Freezer Slow Cooker meals and now, I won't lie, sometimes a gal just loves a pizza slice (or 3...) but I am definitely a converted Slow Cooker User from this point forward.

My Suggestions for Making this work for you:

-Pick meals that you like, but don't be afraid to mix it up and try from new menus

-Work with the ingredients you already have in your pantry to save some $$

-Buy freezer friendly bags to store your prepped meals, avoid freezer burn


-Label your prepped meals with what they are, how long they'll take to cook and whether or not you need to add anything extra (such as serve with pasta, rice etc.)

-Write in your day planner, or even on a calendar on the fridge the meals and the days you'd like to have them. If you've got a busier day then normal one week then grab a slow cooker meal out and 
wa-la, there's dinner sorted.

- look at the cheaper cuts of meat that you may generally tend to save for a stew.. slow cooker = soft tender meats (mostly!) So don't be scared off by the larger, chunkier (but often much, much cheaper) cuts of meat in your local butchers or even just the supermarket. 
All hail the slow cooker!! And it's ease of use goodness!

Until Next Time,




3 comments:

  1. I've only recently re-discovered the joys of having a slow cooker myself! So good for stews, and perfect for the colder months ahead.

    PS: I'm hosting an Antipodes giveaway and hoep you will enter: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/05/antipodes-apostle-skin-brightening-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Just bookmarked. Please feel free to share with our G+ community, The Crock Pot Crowd. We welcome posts from bloggers. :) http://bit.ly/Zmy5vZ

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover