Monday, February 25, 2013

Becoming a Mum of 2

Please note this is simply my account on the transition from one child to two

The Age Gap

The age gap between my two babies is 43 months or just over 3.5 years. This age gap has proved perfect for us and our circumstances for a few reasons.

  • Lily is completely toilet trained and self sufficient with using the toilet
  • Lily is in pre-school 3 days a week, giving Jett and I time extra mummy/baby time and Lily has the opportunity to make friends with children her age
  • Lily is very independent when it comes to meal times (and just about everything else!)

 The Adjustment Period

Here's some quick tips I've learnt in the last 4 months:
  • If you don't already, start to meal plan. You can do it holding the baby (much, much easier when they're not squirming) or whilst they're in a bouncer/swinger/bassinet etc. It will save you so much hassle/money when it comes time to grocery shop. Also for those first few weeks after having the baby, look into getting your groceries delivered if your store offers this. For the first 1-3 weeks after bringing Jett home my meal plan saved my sanity, I knew what meat to get out and what we were going to have for each meal, it wasn't always perfect, we had 'cheap Tuesday' nights where we would get take away a few times, but overall having a basic plan of what you're going to eat will help..a lot!
  • If you'd like to get a little more organized or are scared you're going to lose grip on things such as finances etc. when the baby comes, then make a Family Planner, you can check out my post on this by clicking here. Having two small children to take care of is made SO much easier when you don't have to remember every little thing going on at once inside the house and out, a planner is like a really good friend who is there to help :)
  • Keep an inventory list. I didn't keep an eye on our 'stock pile' of nappies and wet wipes in the first few weeks, and got caught when changing Jett and realized I just used the last wet wipe we had. Keep a list of what you have, the amount and expiry dates (if relevant) it doesn't take very long to do, and it'll be much better then running out of needed items.
  • Lily hands me a nappy every now and then or helps pick out outfits for Jett to wear and I try to include her in most activities when it comes to looking after Jett, obviously keeping it 'age appropriate' but as long as Lily feels needed in the whole process of having a new baby, she doesn't feel her place in the family is 'threatened.'
  • Remember it is a small amount of time that a baby is a baby, things will fall to the side a little but you will make it through this period of time so take lots of pictures and remember to smile!!



What I expected vs The Reality

I was very young when I had Lily and I really didn't have any expectations on how she would be at all, but I was extremely lucky and won the baby jackpot with her as she really was such a laid back baby. She slept straight through the night at 3 months old, she transitioned from bassinet to cot without any trouble and she LOVED car rides.


All through my pregnancy with Jett I maintained in my head that this is how easy it would be all over again but I couldn't have been more wrong if I changed my name to Natasha Wrong. Jett had Colic for the first 2 months of his life and this threw everything in the air with how I thought it would be etc. I soon realized early that he was his own little person and shouldn't be compared to how Lily was.

In the way of routine, I knew that Jett wasn't going to just 'fall into line' in regards to a set schedule so I started writing down when he was napping, the times he'd be hungry and figured out from there a pattern. This allowed me to do the normal parts of my day such as showering, some laundry etc.and know exactly what Jett would be needing shortly.

Sanity. Saved...at least for now



 Jett's 3 Month Old Milestones

 


  • Jett is showing signs of teething (chewing on everything, making slobbery milk bubbles (a favorite thing of his to do)
  • He gets very frustrated when he cannot sit himself up, and as a result does a lot of ab crunches
  • He is extremely vocal and loves to 'coo' everyone in his sight
  • He LOVES to stand up (assisted of course but he has very strong legs)
  • Jett is now transitioning from bassinet to his 'big boy cot' which is definitely a process but he's doing really well.
I'm not sure if i've missed anything, but if you'd like to know anything else then please feel free to comment below :)

Make sure you check back tomorrow for my Tasty Tuesday: Chicken Mignon Recipe!

Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover